Monday, January 28, 2008

Creative Jewelry from diecuts

I often think I limit what I do because there are just moments when I cannot think outside the box! I've had this piece of glass sitting on my table for weeks (ok...months!) This is paper type Art Clay Silver, diecut and embossed using a Spellbinders Style Die. I fired the silver over a layer of dichroic glass and under clear glass. Yeah, they still tell me this can't be done without getting a silver stain...but I'm getting less and less stain and none in this piece!

So there it sat....and I couldn't figure out what to do with it. Then it hit me...make a "cage" for it from swirled wires. I've been sitting here all day makine several of these, some in sterling silver that I've soldered together, others in cheap wire...and you can barely tell the difference!



The glass in this piece was sort of an experiment as I wanted to see if I could fire multiple pieces of silver on the same piece of glass. So thrilled that it worked! Just need to perfect my firing times a bit...have another batch in the kiln as I type this!

Awhile back, I did a tutorial on copper flame painting. I decided to make a pen out of the dragon fly and give it some swirls. I think it turned out just fine!



When I first used my Wizard in December, 2004, I never in my wildest dreams thought I might one day be using it with metal clay and flame painted copper to make such lovely pieces. Thinking outside the box. Look where it took me!

2 comments:

Cindy Cade said...

Now, Jen, I suspect you were thinking outside the box while you were still warmly snuggled in your mother's womb.

You were destined for great things!

WTG,
Creatively,
CindyC

JJ Meyer said...

I love your jewelry pieces. Thank you for sharing outside the box.

Blessings,
JJ