Saturday, November 24, 2007

Tutorial - Embossing part 2, Mirror embossing (Nestabilities)

This is a rarely used embossing technique, but works perfect, especially if you want the reverse image. You can use this technique with any Spellbinders style die. I've chosen the Paisley Nestabilities die as I'm working with some Stampin' UP paper that is just perfect!




In this next photo, I'm showing how I want to diecut 2 pieces from the sheet of paper, but they are facing opposite directions. The one on the left will be embossed, the one on the right would be debossed. I don't want that, I want the edges to be embossed the same way on both pieces.



I also wanted to show you that with the Nestabilities dies, you really get 6 separate dies. I think some of the packaging is just not clear on this. So you get 6 of the same die, in graduated sizes.



As you can see, each die has a tiny "cut" ridge that is just inside the piece.



When "nested" together, this is what they look like:



In order to get the shape you want cut, you need to come in from the back side of the paper. In order to line it up, I simply hold the paper between me and a light source. This could be a lamp, an overhead light, or a window. I can position the die around the image that I want to cut out.



Now, if I diecut and emboss this image, I'm going to get this....where it is debossed.



Perhaps this shows better....the piece that I cut that is the shape of the die is on the left and it is embossed around the edges. The piece that is the opposite shape of the die on the right is debossed and I really want it embossed.



In order to do that, I'm going to use the reverse (flat) side of the die



I'm going to center my diecut on top of the flat side of the die as such:



If you were looking at it from the bottom, you would see the die, cut side down, with the paper on top of it:



The sandwich for this is a bit different:

Cut mat, cut side up
Die, cut side down
paper, centered over the die
tan polymer pad
Embossing mat, emboss side down



If done correctly, both pieces, the right angle and the left angle, will both be embossed.



By doing this, you can turn each diecut into "two" diecuts by having both a right and left angle. It just multiplies the possibilities with your dies.



Now, I know I've done this with a simple nestability die. However, here's an example of it done with the seashell die. The shells mirror each other on the right and the left. Just one die...but I've used this mirror technique to give me twice the dies that I had.



Well, I'm all for getting as much out of a product as one possibly can, but this technique actually helps me have a die that is the exact angle (right or left) that I want for the project I'm working on!

2 comments:

Crafty Caring Friends said...

Hi, I am looking forward to looking at this post. I can't get the pictures to come through. Your other posts are coming through w/no problems. Do you know why I might be having a problem or of a different site to view this technique? If you don't don't no worries, was just curious. thanks, Connie

Jennifer Moore Lowe said...

this is a very old post from 2007. About 2011, I and a problem with my photos on picasa and lost a ton of them. Could never figure out how to get them back. Sorry for the inconvenience.