Saturday, February 14, 2009

Money, money, money

Meryl Streep sang the song in Mamma Mia!  All she wanted was money!!!  But I wonder if any of us can comprehend the numbers behind the dollar signs floating around right now.

One trillion is the number 1 followed by 12 zeros.

1,000,000,000,000


If you had gone into business on the day Jesus was born, and your business LOST a million dollars a day, 365 days a year, it would take you until October 2737 to lose $1 trillion.  Yes, you read that right - you have been losing one million dollars every single day since the day Jesus was born - you still would not have lost a trillion dollars!!!

Sort of puts it into perspective, huh?

Yet our current national debt is at $10 TRILLION.  Ten times that amount!!!

The Milky Way galaxy has an estimated 200 billion stars, so if each star cost $1, you bould buy FIVE Milk Way galaxies full of stars for $1 trillion. Have you looked at the Milky Way lately???

Your share of the national debt this moment is $34,769.40 and that includes every man, woman, teenager, child and infant in this country!  It includes everyone on welfare, social security, disability....all the illegal immigrants....every individual in this country including those who don't pay taxes.  

So if you bring a child into the world today, they already owe $34,769.40  plus whatever else we choose to add to it.  Each and every one of your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews....and their unborn children owe that amount.

Sort of seems this is taxation without representation.  Those unborn children certainly were not represented as our current congress makes the decision to pass a bill that will create so much interest that the next FOUR generations can't even pay the interest on what we are borrowing today.

$1 trillion is $2,739,726,000 per DAY in spending.   Our government is going to be spending almost $3 billion every single day this year in money that it doesn't have - that it has to borrow!!!  

Did you go see the new movie "Confessions of a Shopaholic?"  Perhaps it's a movie you should recommend to your senators and representatives!  LOL!  I saw it last night - cute chick flick.....but I think our government could do well by simply selling off what it already owns and not buying a thing it can't pay cash for- you'll have to see the movie!

I'm going to start campaigning right now for the next presidential election. We already need a new face....someone who will take literal financial responsibility for the spending in this country.  And I will not be supporting anyone who voted to pass this current "emergency" spending bill.  You do all realize that this is not the normal budget bill.....that is still coming up later this year!!!





PS.  To all of the "marilyn's" out there....not only am I an artist, but I have an MBA with a major in finance.  I'm a retired civil servant (federal government employee).  One of my jobs was to take legislation that congress passed and turn it into policy.  I have done plenty of research.  But most important, it's my blog and I can write what I want,  so don't bother to email me and tell me I'm "out of line"!    LOLOL!!!




No comments: