Monday, June 2, 2008

Coloring with pen nibs

Yes, I'm a child of the 50s! Don't you love the scalloped collar? But such a plain, dull black and white photo. Shall we have a little fun today?



A package of pen nibs. I'm sure there are tons who manufacture them, they look like pencil tips, but are foam:



But I have a rather hard time wrapping my fingers around them. You need to find some of the old plastic pencil nib holders. I found mine at the grocery store of all places!



They have little lead pencils inside that will come out, so go ahead and take them all out!



The foam nibs fit inside perfectly. I color coordinate the drums to go with the primary colors of the inks that I use.



You can use any ink, I'm sure, but for this particular class sample, I'm using Ranger's Distress inks. Just roll the nib over the ink pad, then color it onto the old B&W photo. And of course, as always, add your style of embellishments!



I love the new "10 little monkies" from EK Success....just so appropriate for the 1950s. And of course, grandma made each of us kids our own sock monkey! Didn't you have one, too?

Just another technique I plan to teach at Scrapbook Your Life! in July. See ya there!!!

2 comments:

sharon said...

What a great technique, thanks for sharing it. Must look out for some of those pencils and the nibs, another clever idea. How's the big Tidy-Up coming along? I really need to get started on mine too lol!

TA Carbone said...

Oh wow Jen this is wonderful. I have these nibs but my fingers are to big to hold them, lol. Staples and the dollar store has these pencils so now I need to get them. Oh well one less item for the Blog Candy, lol

TA
http://carbonescorner.blogspot.com