A few years back, I bought a dress form. But I have always hated how it looks with all the knobs and dials and split open parts.
One day at the thrift store, I found this long dress out of a very thin, black knit fabric and an idea was born. Don't bother asking how I "see" these things, but I do!!!
And today was the day.....I made a cover for my dress form. It turned out perfect! No pattern (trust me, I searched the internet for a pattern like this!) - just a "vision" in my head.
It wasn't that hard. I simply turned the dress inside out and put it over the dress form. Then I pinned the seams, took it off, cut out around the pins and stitched it up. The top cap was perhaps the most difficult, but again, I took fabric from a sleeve, laid it on top of the neck and traced an oval. Then I pinned that into the neck, much like you would pin a sleeve into an armhole.
Now I can have it in my room and it's not quite the eyesore I thought it was! An upcycled dress - total cost was $4.99.
My next project....I have this old sweater that I have always thought looked like "grandma's" so I'm going to alter it. Again, I have the idea inside my head.....I just need a few days to turn it into that "vision".