Friday, June 18, 2010

Summer in Colorado

I'm starting to get emails from my followers because I haven't been posting. Well, it's summer in Colorado! And I'm outside for 2-3 hours every morning doing yardwork. Yes, we really HAVE to downsize soon. We have just over 2/3 acre for our yard and that's just too big for me to take care of. But rather than flowers, I have been turning my flowerbeds into fruit beds. And this year, for the first time since we moved in here, we have apples, peaches, pears, cherries, raspberries and strawberries.

I'm seriously thinking of filling up the jacuzzi with dirt and turning it into a planter! I need to find a place to grow some tomatoes and green beans next year! Suppose I could just dig up the entire yard....just not sure I need even more work to do!

This is just one of the raspberry beds, but I think it makes a great way to hide "under the deck". I started out with strawberries in front....but I've had to transplant most of them. I cut the raspberries back to 2' every fall and they produced berries through October last year.

I think it's going to be a bumper crop again this year!

The strawberries are loving the fertilizer I put down. Just so thick. Maybe ripe in another 2 weeks.

The pears have a ways to go, but the tree is going to be full.


The apples are too thick and will probably break some branches this year, but they are looking quite healthy. It's definitely organic gardening in my back yard.

Two peach trees and I will be calling my neighbors to come pick them as we will never eat this much fruit....ever!!!

And the branches on the cherry tree are already bending over from the weight. Don't know when we've had such a bumper crop.

I do have good neighbors who bring their kids and love to come pick the fruit. I take what I can reach from the ground and they bring ladders and huge bags. We have a neighborhood email and I simple send a note when stuff is ready to pick. Sort of fun.

Days like today, I love having so much produce growing right in our back yard. But it sure is work. And it sure cuts into my art time!

Other updates - I've been busy with my genealogy project - working on the Cotopaxi Jewish Agricultural Colony research. The Colorado Jewish Genealogy Society voted me in as their Secretary last week, and I'm going to be working on an art poster contest for the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies.

Kerry is doing great. He has been released from the cardiac surgeon and now with the neurosurgeon's team. Physical Therapy has started on his back. Surgery maybe as early as August.

I'm just too busy to post! But I promise to try to do better!

No comments: