Friday, March 28, 2008

Lucy McGoo's Little Store

Well, I've gone and done it. Started a little store in the corner of my studio. Mostly adhesives, inks, things you might run out of when you come to take a class. OK, mostly things I tend to run out of on a day-to-day basis!



But that's not what this blog is about....this is about collaging on wood! Yep, I've moved way beyond paper...I'm on to wood now! I had to do something fun for the little store's sign! I think it's just balsa wood....something I picked up at Hobby Lobby.



I really had fun playing with so many different products on these chipboard swirls. For this one, I started out with a base of Opals embossing enamels from After Midnight Stamps. I stamped some glue ink onto the chipboard, then put the powder on that. Using both my heat-it tool and my milwaukee gun, I melted the opals onto the chipboard. Next, I laid on some pearl opals. Heated them. Then I tapped on some more glue and sprinkled on Art Institute glitter. Covered the whole thing with Glossy Accents. It is like a wonderland of layered dimensions!



This end is a little different. I started with a base of Deep Image Crystals. They come from Once Upon A Stamp in the UK. They are amazing, textured embossing crystals....and just fun! On top I layered rainbow opals and glitterl



Beyond dimensional...and between the glitter and the opals....they truly sparkle!



The wood is painted with a mix of blue and green acrylic paints mixd with Medium mat gel. And then covered with a layer of metallic gold acrylic mixed with the mat gel. The edges are inked with Rust alcohol ink.



So, since it's Lucy's store, I had to use Lucy's stamps. But I also played around with Rangers new white pen. Not bad on wood at all! The "O"s are painted with a thick past made of water and perfect pearls.



The M & G are painted with Stickles. I used lots of brush markers to bring out color. Outlined some of the sentiments with the white pen. Bits and pieces of patterned paper collaged into the wood.



The turquoise swirl is one that I diecut using a sizzix die in the Wizard. I really love making my own chipboard elements. This one is covered with the Deep Image crystals. The longer you heat them the more they melt from crystal (textured) to smooth-as-glass.



Here's an example of the embossing crystals just lightly heated. Really textured. Looks like rusted metal almost.



Loads of art glitter on "Lucy"



I do think this is my first collage on wood. But what a great way to just play with products and mix them up!



I'm thinking a wood journal cover might be in the near future. If I could find a pair of wooden dutch shoes....wouldn't it be great fun to collage them? OK...I know....a very light shade of wood cigar box! Now...I should have one of those somewhere in my stash!

I think this sign is about 4' long. Yep, it took a couple of days....just to get it all to dry! And I keep thinking I could add more and more layers...but I think this is just fine! Wonder what I will find to collage next? The concerete walls in my studio? LOL!

1 comment:

Debby said...

In my wildest dreams I would love to come play in your abode! You so inspire me. Some day! Some day!