Saturday, January 19, 2008

Playing with Chicken Soup!

OK, you've read them all: Chicken Soup for the Soul, Chicken Soup for the Desparate Housewife's Soul, Chicken Soup for the Harried Scrapbooker's Soul.....I mean the list is just endless! And of course, every person's Grandmother always did say that "You just need some chicken soup!!"

Now, I've not read all of the books, but I've read enough to know that most of what is written is heartbreak stories. Some of it makes you feel good, some of it warms our heart, and some of it is funny. But some of it is just a tad too sad for me. I don't get "well" by reading heartbreak stuff.

So I have to disagree with the chicken soup books! (GASP!!!)

I believe this:

PLAYING with chicken soup is what's good for you.




Think about it.

1. If you can actually, literally "play" with chicken soup...you can probably play with anything!



2. As a child, each of us "learned" by "playing" with something. We played in the band. We had a part in a class play. We played at recess. We played on the swingset, with our dolls and firetrucks. We learned how to share, how to get along, how to put things away....just think of what you learned when you played!



3. We actually learned how to collaborate by just playing, building forts, having wars, and playing red rover, red rover, send my friend over.



What does the word "play" mean? I liked this definition: A physical or mental leisure activity that is undertaken purely for enjoyment or amusement and has no other objective.

You define it....but it is something that is fun, that makes you happy, that you like to do. The Old Testament says "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine." That's Proverbs 17:22. Or try Proverbs 15:13.



Reading funny stories from someone else's life is just not going to help. You need to get up, put the book down, set the computer aside, turn off the TV.....and actually, literally, physically.....go play!!!



I have a new keyboard (musical) and I LOVE playing it! And I go play in my studio just about every single day. My sister and I play together when we go out riding on the ATV with out husbands, and try to see just how narrow and steep a trail we can ride. I love to sit at 14,000 feet high on a rock-covered mountain side looking through piles of stones in search of a tiny amethyst crystal. Now that's definitely a game, to see if I can find one! Sort of like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Mom plays by painting and watching her new cat. Kerry plays with model trains. So does my sis, Elaine. I'm sure you have a hobby of some kind, but the big question is....do you take time to play every single day? Do you force yourself to play when you are sad or depressed? Do you even consider it when you are sick or not feeling well?

Playing with chicken soup. Give it a try! You might find it's just what you need!!!

No comments: