Monday, August 20, 2012

Grandma's Hanky babies

Mom has moved into my sister's house and she asked me to take her old hankies and make babies for all her neighbors at the retirement center where she lived.  I did this in 1993 when Grandma Moore died and wrote a poem to go with them.  Mom wanted everyone to have a copy of the poem as well.


WHEN I WAS A CHILD
I’D HEAR GRANDMA SAY,
“LET’S MAKE US SOME BABIES
SO WE CAN PLAY.”


SHE’D FOLD HER HANKY
AND SOON THERE’D BE
A CRADLE WITH BABIES
MADE JUST FOR ME!



WHEN I WAS A TEEN
AND I NEDED TO CRY,
GRANDMA USED THAT HANKY
TO WIPE MY EYE.



I NEEDED SOMETHING OLD
ON MY WEDDING DAY,
SHE HANDED ME HER HANKY
AND I WAS ON MY WAY.



WHEN MY SON WAS BORN
SHE MADE A TINY HAT.
A FOLD AND A STICTH
JUST AS SIMPLE AS THAT!



AS I GREW OLDER
I’D HEAR MYSELF SAY
“I GUESS THAT GRANDMA
WAS HERE TODAY”.



I’D FIND HER HANKY
ON THE BED OR THE FLOOR
WHO ELSE COULD IT BE
BUT GRANDMA MOORE?



A HANKY IN HAND,
WE LAID HER TO REST,
NO ONE WILL ARUGE
SHE WAS THE BEST!



CHERISH THE MEMORIES
AND HEAR GRANDMA SAY
“LET’S MAKE US SOME BABIES
…..LET’S GO PLAY!”






I made 30 of these and handed them out this morning.  The ladies loved them!  It's so nice to bring a smile to their hearts.  As they read the poem, they were all nodding in agreement - someone had made them a hanky baby when they were young.





No comments: