Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Come Dress Yourself in Love....Day 4

Why do I think I can match rayon that I used 33 years ago?  LOL!!!  The Blue pen didn't work.  Embroidery floss didn't work.  


So off to JoAnns and I decided to try some polyester fiber....and it came out just fine.  Colors change over time, fabric and fibers change......as does life. Nothing remains the same, and perhaps that's a good thing.  


I think it's going to take me as long to make this collage as it did to make the dress.  Everything has to be hand stitched and hand-quilted. It's too thick to use a machine.  I decided to go with 4 layers of batting as I wanted this to look really "soft".  In other words - padded like me! LOL!!!

The little birds were stitched to the original veil in a random pattern.  


The sprays of pearls and crystals were on the back of the hat.  The little blue flowers are new.


I quilted it onto the gown, just under the center of the bodice, outlined in metallic wrapped fiber....


You can click to enlarge, but it's exactly what I had envisioned.  




Fringe - to represent the times I've lived my life on nothing but fringe.
Metallic wrapped fibers - for the moments that shine
2 little birds - to remind me of my life verse:  Isaiah 40:30 "but they that wait for Jehovah shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint."
Pearls - for the wisdom I hope I have gained in the last 33 years.
Crystals - to remind me that you have to turn over a lot of rocks to find just one small gem
Tiny stitches with silk thread - to remind me of Ecclesiastes 9:10 "whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might"


Who knew a simple fabric collage could have so much meaning stitched into it?

1 comment:

madelineas said...

This is going to beautiful when it is all finished Jen