Monday, October 5, 2009

Making Friendly Plastic Music

or.....Friendly Plastic is Music to my ears.....

Friendly Plastic...the music in my day.....


No matter how you look at it....Linda Petereson is here and TWO whole weeks of Friendly Plastic play is here!!!

So I wanted to make a piano keyboard......that is over 12" long.....on a curve.....
first up, we cut strips of black Friendly Plastic, laid them out on THREE silpat sheets and let them melt together - turn the griddle to about 180 degrees. If the pieces start to pull apart, just tap them back together. I took Amaco's acrylic roller and rolled it all nice and flat......



Next, I trimmed it to the shape that I wanted, then cut pieces of white Friendly Plastic to look like keys and laid them out on top. Yes, I had to cut them at angles......but it's the exact look that I wanted!


Then I added the half notes. OK.....you will need tweezers to do this!!! And I had this all on the griddle (turned off) as I wanted everything in place before it started to melt and fuse together. It did take a little bit of time to construct this!



I turned the griddle back up to 180 degrees and sat there and babysat this as it started to melt and fuse. Used Amaco's needle tool to move stuff that melted too far and too fast (keep it covered in vasoline) and I really love the end results! It's on a 12x12 piece of scrapbook paper.

Having Linda here is music to my soul for sure! I'm so excited as we start the process of creating and designing. I can hardly wait for each hour to pass....just to see what we can come up with. After "building" a keyboard....I think we need to go 3D and see just what we can do!

2 comments:

~~~ M ~~~ said...

Holey Moley! That is so cool! Only someone as creative as you would think up something like that. Keep up the good work! Have fun with Linda!

Marilyn

Pattyjo said...

The piano keys are just awesome!!!!!
I love what you made!
Pattyjo :+)