Friday, March 20, 2009

Friendly Plastic - Waterfall technique

I know, I know - I said I was done with Friendly Plastic. So what can I say? I'm addicted! LOL!!!

So, I made an even tinier comb. On the far left is Amaco's. The light pink is the first one I made where the teeth are twice as close together. The green is a short one I made and the marbled one has smaller pins and much closer together.



Not much bigger than a quarter - is that tiny or what? But see the little mosaic I had inlaid into the bezel? I needed something ever so tiny so I could marble that.



And the results are just perfect!



When Linda left here, she left me all her "trash". I took this little piece and used the tiny comb in it. I just love how it looks - I think we will have to call this the Friendly Plastic Waterfall technique - doesn't it look like a colorful waterfall???



1. Do the Fracture & Fusion technique
2. Heat the piece on a griddle
3. Run Amaco's comb through it
4. Re-heat and remelt
5. Run this tiny comb the opposite direction
6. Re-heat and remelt

I'm starting to wonder if I will ever get around to designing the rest of my classes for San Diego - I seem to have plastic on my mind! LOL!!! Kerry flies out Sunday morning for a week and if I can get all the classes designed, I hope to do some more technique videos later next week. Just so much fun!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question on firing metal clay in your Caldera, which you posted about a couple of years ago (I didn't know if you check old posts, so I'm asking my question here.)

How long does it take to fire to temperature with metal clay? And is it really worth the extra $200 for the digital control, or would manual controls work just fine? Thanks in advance for your reply!

Jennifer Moore Lowe said...

Elisabeth, feel free to email me at jlowe54@earthlink.net. I definitely know that it's worth every single penny to get the digital control...unless you are going to sit there and watch your kiln the whole time. Manual controls "work" - but they require that you be there or that you put on a timer and constantly check back to see where the temp is.

From 0 to 1472 in the Caldera takes about 30 - 45 minutes I think. It really isn't that long - but in the SC3 - it only taks about 20 minutes, about half the time. I prefer the Caldera if I'm doing any kind of glass work as I don't want the glass to heat so quickly. I prefer the SC if I'm just doing metal clay. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jen. That is really helpful. The more I think about it the more I have been leaning toward making that investment! It makes a lot of sense. I sure appreciate your knowledgeable advice!