Sunday, May 18, 2008

Choices

I believe that there is a reason for everything that we do in life. I also believe that every second is a choice. Right, left. Good, bad. Sleep, work. We constantly make choices. And the summation of those choices is the path our life takes us on. And the journey continues to amaze me.

For whatever reason, at the present time, my path is filled with cancer. Not in me, but all around me. My Aunt Eleanor survived polio as a child and is now battling cancer. Her daughter is a breast cancer survivor. I lost another cousin to brain cancer. My friend Joyce is a 12 year survivor. And I have other friends who are in the midst of the battle right now.

A few months ago, I stumbled across a blog being written by a former pastor of mine. I've kept up with it and want to share it with you so that you can read this most amazing story.

First. How many men would bother to write about their wife's cancer? His story is so amazing just from that standpoint alone.

If you want to start from today and go backwards, then click here

If you want to look at the progression of Carol's journey, then click here

I attended Jim's church from 1994 - 1997. I sang in the Living Christmas Tree. I sang in the church choir. I always enjoyed his messages....but I do believe he is writing his greatest messages in his blog about Carol.

If you read through all of his posts, you will learn that they combined a variety of treatments as well as prayer. But what comes across the most...is that we have the right to choose our treatment plan. We do not have to listen to our doctor...or to a group of doctors. We do not have to listen to what our health insurance limits us to do. We have the choice to seek out alternative treatments....or to simply pray, and let God take care of us.

I have learned so much about cancer, the options, the choices available through Jim's writings. At one point, I was crying because I felt certain Carol would not live until he wrote again. It has been several months that I have been following her journey.

And I cried happy tears the day Jim wrote that Carol walked into church without her wig on. I was just so proud of her. No, I do not know her on a personal basis....only as the wife of the pastor of this church that I attended. But just gaze upon her photos and you will see a woman who is a survivor. And a man who loves her.

I think their real story is just beginning.

"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you."

It is a simple choice, to believe, or not to believe.

No comments: