Monday, May 27, 2013

My little bed bench

I stopped by a garage sale on Saturday and this lady had a very old youth bed for $15.  I couldn't resist!   So yesterday, I cut the side boards, used some 2x6 and 2x4 boards and turned it into a bench.  I am dangerous with a skill saw!  LOL!!!

The headboard is 31" wide and the sideboards were 4' long (and I cut them to 15").  Made in Goshen, IN - still has the writing on the boards.





After a bit of gluing, sanding, nailing....I set it in front of my little cottage on my brand new deck, added a pot to it and put some trees around it.    I just love it!!!


Those are soda can flowers on the tree.  Diet coke and diet 7-up cans.  I'll have to come up with something clever to put on the other 2 trees.  They have lights and eventually, I'll get power out to the cottage or get these on a timer so they come on during the evening hours.

Notice the chair and benches on the wall?  And little women sitting on them.  Just too much fun.  I think this bench will be the perfect spot to sit and watch my flowers grow.  (OK, if I ever have a moment to just sit!)

Today, I'm starting to frame in a porch over the deck.  It's going to be a "faux" porch, just a frame, and then I'll replant my wisteria trees on each end and hopefully train them to grow up around the porch.  In the meantime, I plan to hang net lights inside the roof of the frame.  Eventually, this shed will be painted, insulated, sheet rocked, and I'll convert it to a playhouse for all the dolls that I fix up.  How fun to have such a major project!!


Two days ago, this tree was just green.  We moved in here a year ago and last year, they had an early spring.  This year was late, so I had absolutely no idea this was a flowering tree.  It simply blossomed out overnight.  A Purple Robe Locust tree.  What a bonus in my yard!


And I think it's so appropriate that this is the tree where I decided to put mom's painting and if you click to enlarge the image, you can see my chicken mesh wire dress form, "Grandpa's Girl" standing by the painting.  The latest addition is the animated, lighted deer that I picked up for $1 at a garage sale.



Some days, I think I'll never finish in the yard.  But I'm learning to just be slow and steady.  One post is in the ground and the quikrete is mixed and poured.  I have the canopy up over the pergola and it provides wonderful shade.

Life is good when you can play in the yard!  :o)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed that you have done the little porch, now the bench out of a bed...WOW

online dramas said...

so nice blogger