Friday, October 15, 2010

Artist market

There's an open air market in Tel Aviv on Friday afternoons. It was one of the main things I wanted to see while here. I was not disappointed. It was wonderful!!



There were hundreds of artists selling what they had made. Wonderful pieces of jewelry. Hand blown glass. Dichroic pendants. Hand carved wood. Sterling silver. Breath-taking art. All created and designed here in Israel. I was in "heaven"!!!

I stopped and spoke with a gal who had enameled on sterling as her pieces looked like metal clay. She claimed she hated the stuff!! "I only had 10 minutes to work with it. Not enough time. I threw it in the trash!!!"

Oh! How I laughed! I told her I knew exactly what she meant. Guess I will spend more time working with sterling silver when I get home. I've taken the classes, I just need to practice. She gave me some wonderful ideas. So much fun to chat with her.

Ellen, I looked and could not find swarma. I did find the food market on Carmel. Oh, my, goodness!!





Miles of food! The absolute best pita bread on earth made with eggplant. Figs to die for! I never knew I liked figs so much! Huge, plump, juicy grapes. Granola bars in every flavor. Rugala (my personal favorite). Ok, writing about it has me hungry again! I bought enough that we won't eat out the rest of the trip. April and I split up and went through the market oour own. When I got back to the room, she had bought the same stuff as I. Proof that sisters think alike!!

I was looking for prayer shawls. Didn't find any, but was amazed at guys buying tefillin.






No comments: