Thursday, April 10, 2014

The back side of skyline drive

If you head up north 5th street and look over at the hogbacks, you can see this old road going up to the top.  Today was my day to hike it!!!



But let me warn you....it's quite a hike just to the base of the road!


That little area between the 2 hogbacks is where I started.  No small climb.  :o)


And just a little farther up, you learn why this is not a "road" at all.  These are pretty rugged rocks, some steps are a foot high.


Imagine my surprise to find a cave along the "road".


And (drumroll please!) I actually made it to the top.  It only took me 45 minutes!!!  Now more drum rolls...I literally sang all the way to the top.  OK, you may not have understood a word of my huffing and puffing songs....but I did sing!  I only met one other hiker and I quit singing far enough away as to not disturb him.  LOL!  This is skyline drive looking back to the north


and this is looking to the south.


 This is looking out to the southeast.


And this is overlooking Canon City to the east.


When you are up on top and you are trying to find the back road, this is what it looks like.  I wouldn't know it was a road if I was looking for it!


When I got back down, I took this shot.  And yep, I sang all the way down.  No idea how far this is in actual miles....but for me, at the age of 62, it was a substantial hike.  I have not been able to do this due to my back pain, so today was a glorious day!  I love that I made this hike at least once in my life.  If you come to town, I'll be happy to go with you!