Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Doll House

It's coming along!  I finished digging a trench from the house to the shed so I can get power out there.  My electrician said it has to be 18" deep and 4" wide.  HA!  Try digging something like that in the ROCKY mountains!  I thought I'd save money and do it myself.  Well, this is the one-and-only time that I do that!!!



If you go back a few posts, you will see the "cottage" and just the deck.  I built a framed porch around the deck and covered it with shade cloth.  Then I hung net lights for a "ceiling".  I transplanted 2 wisteria trees - one at each end and am training them to grow as a roof.  Then I hung icicle lights around the edge and inside, there's greenery hung.  Sure looks different from the last photo!

And those are Jerusalem Artichokes growing in front.  They are taller than the porch and will have sunflower like flowers if they bloom this year.  You can actually eat the bottom - it's a cross between a potato and an artichoke.  I'm just growing them for shade!


It's hard to believe that just this past spring, there was nothing here.  The far corner has a small garden shed.  We put a concrete and stone ramp up to it.  I have a path coming out from there with round pavers that I will paint and bury in the ground.  I put left-over stones from the front yard terrace around the little pond and then planted strawberries, day lillies, iris, ground cover, morning glories and more in the garden.  I also put in a timed sprinkler system - above ground with drips, sprays and mists.  That was quite an educational experience!  I sure know sprinklers now!


If you look closely, you can see little white chairs hanging on the wall.  My bed bench is still where I put it with some fake trees around it.  I've hung chimes from the porch rails.  And I plan to paint huge flowers on the left end of the cottage.   I'd like to find some french doors to replace the barn doors with, but I may end up making those myself, too!  


So the power gets connected tomorrow, then I have to bury the line, plant stuff on top of that...finish the path...so in a week, I should be ready to start on the inside.  I just think this will be a great place to show the dolls and you can come have a tea party with them any time you want!!!

I just love being "retired"!!!

No comments: